Friday, March 6, 2009

Facebook Note Posted 3/6/09

So this update isn't as happy a I hoped it would be, but it seems like everything is going to work out fine.
Matt and I made it to Ash Grove/Springfield last weekend to visit his family and get our engagement pictures taken. I was very happy with how our pictures turned out and it was great to see his family, but the weekend was hard. Friday afternoon I started to have pain and kind of a tingle in my mouth, jaw, and tongue. At first it was just kind of annoying, but by Saturday night it was very painful. It took a lot of phone calls, but Matt and his family eventually got a hold of a doctor who called in a prescription. The pharmacist in Ash Grove actually took the call at home and opened the store so we could get the medicine I needed to help with the problem in my mouth. I don't know what I would have done without Matthew's family. They were so helpful and kept running to get things to try to help me. I'm really lucky to have such awesome future in-laws! Sunday my mouth wasn't great, but it was starting to get better.

Matt and I got home Sunday night and I had planned on going to work Monday, but that didn't happen. Sunday night and most of the day Monday I had really severe pain in the areas where my swollen lymph glands (the cancer) are. Although it wasn't any fun, I agree with my brother-in-law that its kind of cool that the chemo is working and that I can actually feel it attacking the bad cells. Anyways, after the pain came the vomiting. For a few days I wasn't able to keep anything down.

Tuesday I went back to work. I talked to the principal and assistant principal and gave up my job. I had hoped I'd be able to only miss one day every other week and that the weekend would be enough time for me to recover, but it looks like the chemo's going to be harder on me than that. I thought it would be better for my students to have a teacher who could be there all the time. Also, its a lot more work for me to miss school than to be there. I'm sad about having to leave Jackson, but its cutting out a lot of stress and I still plan on subbing some on my good days. The principal and assistant principal were so nice and understanding. They said they know my heart is in the right place and I have 110%. They made me feel a lot better about leaving.

Anyways, Tuesday was a hard day at school. I was pretty weak and still unable to keep food down, but I made it through the day. Wednesday I also went to school, but only for half a day. Again I was just really weak. I could teach, but I couldn't stand long and I was really tired. Wednesday evening I got a call from the school. They wanted to check on me and let me know that they found someone to replace me so I could stay home and focus on getting better.

Since then, things have been better. I've been able to keep food down for a couple days now. I've had some sinus junk and a headache, but that's because of the change in weather and all the wind. Yesterday I went to my sister's for awhile and played with my niece and nephews to keep myself from getting too inactive. Today I'm going to start filling out job applications (I've already turned in one job application for a job that I REALLY want, so wish me luck!) and I'm going to Jackson to take some papers back and pick up my stuff that's still there. I really am feeling much better now! Hopefully we'll have the medicine figured out better for my next chemo treatment so I don't get so sick. My next treatment is on the 11th.

When I have time and feel well I'll give more updates. As always, thank you for your love, support, and prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Renee,
    I don't have a facebook but Whitney told me what is going on. I am glad you started a blog so I can keep checking in on you. :)

    Thinking and praying for you!

    Alaina & Jeremy