Thursday, August 13, 2009

8/13/09 Updates - Lots of good news!

Make sure you read the whole post because I have updates about my cancer, job, and a PARTY!!!

First of all, I am officially FINISHED with my chemotherapy treatments!!! Monday, the 10th was my last treatment, and it went well. Tuesday I went for my last shot. I'm feeling great! I'll have another PET Scan in mid September just for a check-up and an appointment with my oncologist. After that, I'll have check-ups about every three months for a couple years, then the time between check-ups will increase. My hair is still coming back in. It is probably about an inch long now and its very soft. It started out really light blond, but now its looking more brown. That might be because the brown hair shows up better, or maybe my hair's just going to be brown. I'll just have to wait and see! So far it isn't curly, but that could still change too.

I'm very excited about my job, and now know for sure what I'm teaching. I will have the 8th grade homeroom (with some help from the teacher who used to do it) so I will have some field trips later in the year. We'll go to Jefferson City, a Cardinals game, a retreat, and I'll be in charge of 8th grade graduation. I will be teaching both Social Studies and Religion for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. The plan right now is to have Social Studies 3 days a week, and Religion 2 days a week. I will also be teaching Algebra 1 every day to some of the 8th graders. Matthew and my cousin Taylor (who is about to start high school) have been helping me so much in my classroom. I think its almost finished! I've also had help from mom and dad. Mom made curtains for me, the two of them put my computer chair and bar stools together, and Dad is building a podium for me! I start school on Monday, with an Open House that night, and my students start Wednesday. I'm excited and nervous both at the same time. I'm still waiting on class lists and some of my teacher manuals. I think once I have all of that, I'll feel a lot better. Immaculate Conception is a great school with a lot of technology and resources. I really think I'm going to love it there!

Now on to news about the party...

You are invited to an

Open House

Remission Accomplished Party!

Renee Essner has finished her chemotherapy treatments so it is time to celebrate!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

1:00 to 5:00 p.m.

St. Augustine School Gymnasium

Kelso, Missouri

Snacks and drinks will be provided. No gifts please. Your love, support, and prayers are the best gift I could have ever received!

Questions? Directions?

Call Renee’s parents at (573)264-4493


Feel free to bring family members! You can also e-mail me at renee.essner@gmail.com for questions or directions.

In mid February when I was diagnosed, I never thought this day would come, but at the same time I wasn't scared. I knew that God had a plan for me and even though I didn't know what that plan was, I knew things would work out the way they were supposed to. This has been a journey full of ups and downs, and I don't know how I would have made it through all of this without my friends and especially my family. God has blessed me with the best parents in the world. I know at times it was really hard for them (and Matt) to see me in pain and not be able to do anything about it, but they stayed strong for me and I appreciate them more than I could ever put into words. I also want to mention how amazing Matt has been. As some of my family members have mentioned, if we didn't know before that he was the one for me, we definitely know now. He has stuck by side and put up with my crankiness and bald head and I think this whole experience has brought us even closer together.

I cannot thank everyone enough for all the prayers. God sure is amazing! I hope I can see many of you Labor Day weekend to thank you in person, but if you can't make it I understand. That's usually a busy weekend for a lot of people. Much love, and God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment